Definition of Islam in English:
- They argue Islam is a religion of peace and that Islamic faith is not the cause of terrorism.
- It does not cover cults within other world religions such as Islam and Hinduism.
- Now we have to watch some other clerics on TV talking about Islam being a religion of peace.
- Still, we have to take some steps of our own for the sake of the future of Islam and Muslims in India.
- We can read the Koran and study Islam, but we are not Muslims and cannot know what Islam means to a Muslim.
- To me it shows what little knowledge they have of Islam and how out of touch with Muslims they are.
Founded in the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century ad, Islam is now the professed faith of more than a billion people worldwide, particularly in North Africa, the Middle East, and parts of Asia. The ritual observances and moral code of Islam were said to have been given to Muhammad as a series of revelations, which were codified in the Koran. Islam is regarded by its adherents as the last of the revealed religions, and Muhammad is seen as the last of the prophets, building on and perfecting the examples and teachings of Abraham, Moses, and Jesus. There are two major branches in Islam: Sunni and Shia
- Example sentences
- Their ideology was Islamization and Muslim communalism respectively.
- The Islamisation of politics gives clerics a freehand to rule, with little regard for individual freedoms.
- Bhatty underlines the need for studying the ways in which the process of Islamisation has affected caste-like divisions among Muslims.
- Example sentences
- I like to imagine what would have happened had the Arabs won at Potiers and gone on to conquer and Islamise Europe.
- What is their attitude to say banking, is there a desire to Islamise many of the institutions of the West?
- But there is a common underlying ideology to them all that seeks to Islamise the world.
From Arabic 'islām 'submission', from 'aslama 'submit (to God)'.
Words that rhyme with Islamwind farm • schoolmarm
Definition of Islam in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.