(also Jack Russell terrier)
- A terrier of a small working breed with short legs.More example sentences
- He was walking to the shops when he was set upon by around six dogs, including a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a Jack Russell and a German Shepherd Labrador cross.
- Scrappers like the foot-tall Jack Russell terrier can hold their own, too, but dogs smaller than that don't have the legs or the hearts to keep up.
- I looked down to see a small Jack Russell terrier ecstatically running in circles around my legs, tail wagging wildly.
early 20th century: named after John (Jack) Russell (1795–1883), an English clergyman famed in fox-hunting circles as a breeder of such terriers.
More definitions of Jack RussellDefinition of Jack Russell in:
- The British & World English dictionary