Definition of Jacobean in English:
1Of or relating to the reign of James I of England: a Jacobean mansion
More example sentences
- Machiavelli himself, author of groundbreaking comedies such as the Mandragola, became a proverbial figure of evil on the Elizabethan and Jacobean stage.
- Britain's leading composer during the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods, Byrd's large, varied output included English anthems and consort songs, Latin motets and masses, and keyboard and instrumental consort music.
- Shakespeare studies call for a thorough knowledge of a wide spectrum of pre-Shakespearean, Elizabethan and Jacobean drama, the Elizabethan stage and dramaturgy.
1.1(Of furniture) in the style prevalent during the reign of James I, especially being the color of dark oak.
- Church dates from 1436 and contains attractive Jacobean pews and pulpit.
- Other Cottier furniture in the Jacobean or northern Renaissance style is made of ebonized or painted mahogany.
- A large, open-arm, upholstered armchair is in the corner, and a wooden armchair with a pierced back splat in the Jacobean / colonial revival mode is in front of the chimney-piece.
nounBack to top
A person who lived during the Jacobean period.
- The approach of Elizabethans and Jacobeans to non-Europeans was normally commercial and pragmatic.
- For Dryden, the contrast between the First and Second Temples is symbolic of the relationship between contemporary Caroline poetry and that of the great Jacobeans.
- He compares the preoccupation with the extremes of the Jacobeans to the extremes of recent playwrights.
Words that rhyme with JacobeanActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, European, Fijian, Galilean, Hasmonean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Kampuchean, Laodicean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sabaean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
Definition of Jacobean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan