Definition of Japanese in English:
Of or relating to Japan or its language, culture, or people.
- It is reputed in Japanese culture that noisy eating is a compliment to the cook.
- The intoxicating obscurity of ancient Japanese culture is shown to be irrational and confusing.
- Shinto has been an established part of Japanese culture for at least 2000 years.
noun (plural same)Back to top
1A native or inhabitant of Japan, or a person of Japanese descent.
- Unlike the Belgians, Americans and Japanese, the British have no heritage of adult comic books.
- We mean no disrespect to those asking the Germans or Japanese for compensation.
- We were all celebrating the victory over the Japanese in the last war.
2The language of Japan, spoken by almost all of its population.
- So now we have a Japanese company, run by a New York-based Briton who speaks no Japanese.
- The firm already has machine translation from English to Japanese, and Japanese to English.
- Japanese shows some similarities to Korean and the Altaic languages.
Definition of Japanese in:
- British & World English dictionary