Definition of Japanese in English:
Of or relating to Japan or its language, culture, or people.
- It is reputed in Japanese culture that noisy eating is a compliment to the cook.
- The intoxicating obscurity of ancient Japanese culture is shown to be irrational and confusing.
- Shinto has been an established part of Japanese culture for at least 2000 years.
noun (plural same)Back to top
1A native or inhabitant of Japan, or a person of Japanese descent.
- Unlike the Belgians, Americans and Japanese, the British have no heritage of adult comic books.
- We mean no disrespect to those asking the Germans or Japanese for compensation.
- We were all celebrating the victory over the Japanese in the last war.
2The language of Japan, spoken by almost all of its population.
- So now we have a Japanese company, run by a New York-based Briton who speaks no Japanese.
- The firm already has machine translation from English to Japanese, and Japanese to English.
- Japanese shows some similarities to Korean and the Altaic languages.
Words that rhyme with JapaneseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Japanese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan