- 1A knobby edible tuber with white flesh, eaten as a vegetable.More example sentences
- I also grow a successful variety of vegetables including Jerusalem artichokes, courgettes, beans and pumpkins.
- It comes as no real surprise, however, that onions are the most popular vegetables, and Jerusalem artichokes the least popular.
- Those searching for ingredients for home-made soups might like to pick up some knobbly Jerusalem artichokes.
- 2The tall North American plant, closely related to the sunflower, that produces this tuber.
More example sentences
- Helianthus tuberosus, family Compositae
- When sunflower was crossed with Jerusalem artichoke, F 1 hybrid plants carried 51 chromosomes and showed reduced pollen fertility.
- Prebiotics can be found in plants like Jerusalem artichokes, tomatoes, bananas, garlic, barley and wheat.
- In fact, every crop in North America other than the blueberry, Jerusalem artichoke, sunflower and squash has its origins elsewhere.
early 17th century: Jerusalem, alteration of Italian girasole 'sunflower'.
More definitions of Jerusalem artichokeDefinition of Jerusalem artichoke in:
- The British & World English dictionary