Definition of Jicarilla in English:
noun (plural same or Jicarillas)
1 (also Jicarilla Apache) A member of an Apache people of northern New Mexico.
- Nonetheless some Apaches, notably the Jicarillas, became friends and allies of the Spanish.
- My mother is half Puerto Rican - her father was born in San Juan Puerto Rico and her mother was born in Taos, New Mexico on the Jicarilla Apache reservation.
- Later materials include one rim sherd from a Jicarilla micaceous-ware vessel that dates to roughly A.D.1720-1750 and Euroamerican items.
2The Athabaskan language of the Jicarilla.
- The Southwestern Athapascan language has seven dialects: Navajo, Western Apache, Chiricahua, Mescalero, Jicarilla, Lipan, and Kiowa-Apache.
- The last thousand speakers of Jicarilla Apache have such concern over the loss of their language that some are working with a University of New Mexico linguist to compile a dictionary.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Jicarilla or their language.
- When the first Jicarilla tribal council was elected, ten of its 18 members were medicine men and five others were traditional leaders from chiefs' families.
Mexican Spanish: probably diminutive of jícara 'chocolate-cup' (from the shape of a local hill); perhaps from Nahuatl xicalli 'drinking vessel, gourd'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.