Definition of Jicarilla in English:
noun (plural same or Jicarillas)
1 (also Jicarilla Apache) A member of an Apache people of northern New Mexico.
- Nonetheless some Apaches, notably the Jicarillas, became friends and allies of the Spanish.
- My mother is half Puerto Rican - her father was born in San Juan Puerto Rico and her mother was born in Taos, New Mexico on the Jicarilla Apache reservation.
- Later materials include one rim sherd from a Jicarilla micaceous-ware vessel that dates to roughly A.D.1720-1750 and Euroamerican items.
2The Athabaskan language of the Jicarilla.
- The Southwestern Athapascan language has seven dialects: Navajo, Western Apache, Chiricahua, Mescalero, Jicarilla, Lipan, and Kiowa-Apache.
- The last thousand speakers of Jicarilla Apache have such concern over the loss of their language that some are working with a University of New Mexico linguist to compile a dictionary.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Jicarilla or their language.
- When the first Jicarilla tribal council was elected, ten of its 18 members were medicine men and five others were traditional leaders from chiefs' families.
Mexican Spanish: probably diminutive of jícara 'chocolate-cup' (from the shape of a local hill); perhaps from Nahuatl xicalli 'drinking vessel, gourd'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan