Definition of John Dory in English:
noun (plural John Dories)
An edible dory (fish) of the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean, with a black oval mark on each side.
- Zeus faber, family Zeidae
- Big female cuckoo wrasse, pollack, several bib and a John Dory were all I could see, although my view was slightly obscured by several fronds of kelp.
- All I knew about the boarfish was that it resembled a John Dory, and was rarely seen - probably because, as most marine life books agree, it lives at depths of 100-400m!
- The alternative story is that St Peter threw a John Dory back into the sea after it had engaged his sympathy by making distressed noises.
Definition of John Dory in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan