Definition of Joshua tree in English:
A yucca that grows as a tree and has clusters of spiky leaves, native to arid regions of southwestern North America.
- Yucca brevifolia, family Agavaceae
- It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.
- Add to this the abundance of dangerous flora and fauna - cacti, yucca plants, Joshua trees, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and spiders - and the propensity for injury when training on ground combat skills increases dramatically.
- Its vascular structure and secondary growth are not unlike those found in the Joshua tree.
Mid 19th century: apparently from Joshua (Josh. 8:18), the plant being likened to a man brandishing a spear.
Definition of Joshua tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan