Definition of Joshua tree in English:
A yucca that grows as a tree and has clusters of spiky leaves, native to arid regions of southwestern North America.
- Yucca brevifolia, family Agavaceae
- It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.
- Add to this the abundance of dangerous flora and fauna - cacti, yucca plants, Joshua trees, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and spiders - and the propensity for injury when training on ground combat skills increases dramatically.
- Its vascular structure and secondary growth are not unlike those found in the Joshua tree.
Mid 19th century: apparently from Joshua (Josh. 8:18), the plant being likened to a man brandishing a spear.
Definition of Joshua tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.