another name for Jupiter.
from Latin Jov-, stem of Old Latin Jovis, replaced later by Jupiter. The exclamation by Jove dates from the late 16th century.
- dated An exclamation indicating surprise or used for emphasis: by Jove, that’s a cold windMore example sentences
- And by Jove, I always try to give young entertainers a break whenever I can!
- Sure we got beaten week in and week out, but by Jove we had some fun.
- I believe in what man can do, and by Jove, he's done some pretty marvellous things.
Definition of Jove in:
- The British & World English dictionary