noun (plural Judenrate /-ˌrätə/)
- A council representing a Jewish community, especially in German-occupied territory during World War II.More example sentences
- The ghettos throughout the Reich territory were administered by a Judenrat, which acted as a steady source of informants and active collaborators for the Nazi authorities.
- This is just a quick moment in the book, but I'm blogging it because it reminds me to mention the excellent book on the Judenrat by my grandfather, Leonard Tushnet.
- In each ghetto the Germans set up a Jewish council, called the Judenrat.
German, 'Jewish council'.
More definitions of JudenratDefinition of Judenrat in:
- The British & World English dictionary