noun (plural same)
- 1A member of a people living mainly in Kanara, a district in southwestern India.More example sentences
- The great majority of Kanarese (85.9 percent) are Hindus, but 11.1 percent of the state's population is Muslim and 2.1 percent Christian.
- These are Klings and not Kanarese, because the people of this province of Talimgo are more graceful.
- 2 another term for Kannada.More example sentences
- The Dravidian languages have all and the same word for medicine and gunpowder; in Tamil marundu, in Telugu mandu, in Kanarese maddu, and in Malayalam, maruna.
- Beside the descriptive grammar based on the inscriptions there are numerous historical and comparative sections in the book, tracing the history of Kanarese.
- Beals only spoke Kanarese so it was difficult for him to stay in a village where another language was spoken.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Kanara, its people, or their language.More example sentences
- I said above that the Kanarese alphabet is not quite suited to the Konkani language, because there are some sounds which cannot be expressed exactly by the Kanarese alphabet.
- The society is committed to the promotion and publication of Kanarese literature.
More definitions of KanareseDefinition of Kanarese in:
- The British & World English dictionary