Definition of Kikongo in English:
Either of two similar Bantu languages spoken in Congo, the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire), and adjacent areas.
- Six of the Bantu languages were selected as national languages: Chokwe, Kikongo, Kimbundo, Mbunda, Oxikuanyama, and Umbundu.
- Other major languages include Swahili, Lingala, Kikongo, and Tshiluba.
- Lingala, Kikongo, Sangha, and Bateke are the most widely spoken native languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Kikongo.
- In 1956 another Redemptorist published the first edition of an extremely influential Kikongo history of Kongo, relating that the first Kongo had probably migrated from Egypt.
- The Kikongo word phemba denotes ‘the one who gives children in-potentia.’
- In 1992, Kikongo speakers in all countries numbered 3,217,000, the majority of whom lived in Angola.
the name in Kikongo.
Definition of Kikongo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan