Definition of Kodiak bear in English:
An animal of a large race of the North American brown bear or grizzly, found on islands to the south of Alaska.
- Ursus arctos middendorffi, family Ursidae
- For a Fox-TV special called Man vs. Beast, Kobayashi faced down a 1,089-pound Kodiak bear in a hot-dog-eating contest.
- But even they were dwarfed by the formidable Pachyaena, a ground-dwelling cousin of the earliest whales, whose head reached the size of a Kodiak bear's.
- When interior bears stand on their hind feet to get a better view of their surroundings, they may be 1.8-2.7 meters tall whereas Kodiak bears are 2.7-3.4 meters in height.
late 19th century: named after Kodiak Island, Alaska.
Definition of Kodiak bear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan