Definition of Larvacea in English:
A class of minute transparent planktonic animals related to the sea squirts. They have a body that is typically enclosed in a gelatinous “house” that is regularly shed and replaced.
- Within the urochordates, both genes placed Oikopleura (class Larvacea) as the sister group to all other urochordates.
larvacean adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Ascidians and thaliaceans (which, along with the larvaceans, comprise the subphylum Urochordata) display a biphasic life-history with morphologically dissimilar larval and adult body plans.
- This supposition is largely based on data which suggests that, within the urochordates, the directly developing larvaceans are most primitive and the other two chordate subphyla are exclusively directly developing.
- Other more sophisticated jelly creatures include some mollusks and snails, and tunicates - sea squirts, salps and larvaceans.
Definition of Larvacea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan