Definition of Leyland cypress in English:
A fast-growing hybrid conifer that is narrowly conical with a dense growth of shoots bearing scalelike leaves, widely grown as a screening plant or for shelter.
- × Cupressocyparis leylandii, family Cupressaceae; a hybrid between the Nootka cypress and the Monterey cypress (macrocarpa)
- Flat-needled Leyland cypress contrasts nicely with smooth magnolia leaves on a mantel and adds soft filler in arrangements.
- For privacy, Stacie planted a screen of Leyland cypress along the back lot line.
- Elsewhere in the yard, Leyland cypresses form a solid wall of feathery foliage.
1930s: named after Christopher J. Leyland (1849–1926), British horticulturist.
Definition of Leyland cypress in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan