- A fast-growing hybrid conifer that is narrowly conical with a dense growth of shoots bearing scalelike leaves, widely grown as a screening plant or for shelter.
More example sentences
- × Cupressocyparis leylandii, family Cupressaceae; a hybrid between the Nootka cypress and the Monterey cypress (macrocarpa)
- Flat-needled Leyland cypress contrasts nicely with smooth magnolia leaves on a mantel and adds soft filler in arrangements.
- For privacy, Stacie planted a screen of Leyland cypress along the back lot line.
- Elsewhere in the yard, Leyland cypresses form a solid wall of feathery foliage.
1930s: named after Christopher J. Leyland (1849–1926), British horticulturist.
More definitions of Leyland cypressDefinition of Leyland cypress in:
- The British & World English dictionary