- 1 another name for Satan.[by association with the 'son of the morning' (Isa. 14:12), believed by Christian interpreters to be a reference to Satan]
- 3 (lucifer) • archaic A match struck by rubbing it on a rough surface.More example sentences
- Leaning sideways and striking a lucifer against the toenails on the elephant foot umbrella stand, Dimpler thoughtfully lit his last Cuban.
- A quantity of lucifers were in his cart ignited and Jones with his horses were burnt to death.
Old English, from Latin, 'light-bringing, morning star', from lux, luc- 'light' + -fer 'bearing'.
More definitions of LuciferDefinition of Lucifer in:
- The British & World English dictionary