- An effect in which certain atomic nuclei bound in a crystal emit gamma rays of sharply defined frequency, which can be used as a probe of energy levels in other nuclei.More example sentences
- Using the Mössbauer effect to measure the velocity of the basilar membrane, he made a significant discovery.
- Isolated nuclei will not exhibit the Mössbauer effect because their motions cause Doppler shifts in the energies of the ray and the peak resonant energy producing a mismatch in these energies.
- The Mössbauer effect is a recoilless absorption and emission of a photon.
1960s: named after Rudolf L. Mössbauer (1929–), German physicist.
More definitions of Mössbauer effectDefinition of Mössbauer effect in:
- The British & World English dictionary