- A canticle used in Christian liturgy, especially at vespers and evensong, the text being the hymn of the Virgin Mary (Luke 1:46-55).More example sentences
- I would love to find the exact quote, but apparently somewhere Dietrich Bonhoeffer called the Magnificat the most passionate, wildest, most revolutionary Advent hymn ever sung.
- These are the seminal texts of the tradition: the Lord's Prayer, the Magnificat, the Benedictus.
- That afternoon the congregation would also get to hear a brand new work - the largest Bach had produced in Leipzig so far - a Magnificat for five vocal parts, trumpets, timpani, recorders, oboes, strings and continuo.
Middle English: Latin, literally 'magnifies' (from the opening words, which translate as 'my soul magnifies the Lord').
More definitions of MagnificatDefinition of Magnificat in:
- The British & World English dictionary