Definition of Magyar in English:
1A member of a people who originated in the Urals and migrated westward to settle in what is now Hungary in the 9th century ad.
- In the late ninth century, Slavs and Magyars advanced westward along the Danube River valley and overran the area.
- Migrants from Hungary were not Magyars but Slovaks, followed by Serbs, Croats, and Romanians.
- The Magyars settled in the neighbourhood of the Danube, and especially in the district on the farther side, as best suited to their occupation, that of cattle-raising.
2The Uralic language of the Magyar; Hungarian.
- In the Diet of 1825 Széchenyi spoke in Magyar to demand the introduction of Magyar as the official language, and helped to found the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, to develop Magyar as a literary language.
- The government made Magyar the official language and outlawed all other languages.
- With Barbara my translator, (I was going to need more than a dozen words of Magyar to understand what was going on), I drove down to Tanyacsarda in the Bugas plains.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Magyar or their language.
- One of the aristocrats, Count István Széchenyi, in fact broke ranks to join the gentry, and campaigned to revive Magyar language and culture in order to preface demands for political autonomy.
- Well-heeled Hungarian kids like to drink at this famously and excessively long bar, surrounded by the iconography of old Hollywood and local Magyar movies.
- The problem for the Magyar patriots is that the majority of ingredients (onions, tomatoes and garlic) now being bought by the housewives have been imported.
the name in Hungarian.
Definition of Magyar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan