- 1A cross with arms of equal length that broaden from the center and have their ends indented in a shallow V-shape.More example sentences
- In Allegory of the Faith alone, a pattern of what can be read as white Maltese crosses, each made from five tiles, is set on a black background.
- The + signs in the decorative line below the title are Maltese crosses in the original.
- The Prince of Scandanavia, a sleek 22,578-gross-register-ton ship with a white Maltese cross in a blue circle emblazoned on her impressive funnel, was ready for boarding both passengers and vehicles.
- 2A plant of the pink family (Lychnis chalcedonica), with small scarlet petals arranged in the shape of a Maltese cross.More example sentences
- Green grasses also work well for separating strong colors and boldly patterned blooms, such as the intense red heads of Maltese cross and the bull's-eye stripes of blanket flower (Gaillardia x grandiflora).
- We planted Maltese crosses, phlox, snapdragons, and other interesting plants.
so named because the cross was formerly worn by the Knights of Malta, a religious order.
More definitions of Maltese crossDefinition of Maltese cross in:
- The British & World English dictionary