Definition of Massachusett in English:
1 (plural same or Massachusetts) A member of an extinct North American Indian people, formerly found in eastern Massachusetts.
- In 1623, Myles Standish decapitated Wituwamat, a Massachusett Indian accused of conspiring to destroy the English settlements, and stuck his head on a pole outside of Plymouth's fort.
- Alice's husband, Thomas, was a Massachusett Indian from Agawam on the mainland.
- His considerable feat was to translate the bible (Old and New Testaments) into the language of the Massachusett Indian.
2The Algonquian language of the Massachusett.
- People on the Cape and islands spoke Massachusett, and people in what are today Rhode Island and Connecticut spoke Narragansett.
- The Wampanoag spoke Massachusett, a language they shared with the Massachusett and Pawtucket Indians to the north.
- But the language was Massachusett, nonetheless, as can be seen from wills, grave markers, transfers of land, and bills of sale written in it during the 1600s and 1700s.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan