- An international radio distress signal used by ships and aircraft.More example sentences
- The ship sent out the Mayday signal early yesterday morning when it was about 33 nautical miles away.
- The radio operator sent a Mayday distress call, which was logged by the local Coastguard station at 12.06 am.
- To send armed forces onboard a civil ship sending out Mayday signals is piracy.
nounBack to top
1920s: representing a pronunciation of French m'aider, from venez m'aider 'come and help me'.
More definitions of MaydayDefinition of Mayday in:
- The British & World English dictionary