Definition of Mbuti in English:
noun (plural same or Mbutis)
A member of a pygmy people of western Uganda and adjacent areas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire).
- The Mbutis (of the Pygmy group) in central West Africa, for example, were pushed all the way into the Ituri Forest of DRC and Gabon.
- The choreographer is a long-time fan of the polyphonic vocalizing of the Aka clan of the Mbuti (commonly known as Pygmy).
- Within Africa, the two Pygmy groups have the lowest heterozygosity, and the Mbuti markedly so.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mbuti.
- In particular, the Mbuti population shows highest genetic variation but a lower value for the expansion index compared with those for Central Africans, Europeans, and East Asians.
- The Mbuti people are renowned for a vocal style in which many voices simultaneously sing different, independent melodies.
the name in local languages.
Definition of Mbuti in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan