Definition of Mediterranean in English:
1Of or characteristic of the Mediterranean Sea, the countries bordering it, or their inhabitants: a leisurely Mediterranean cruise our temperatures are Mediterranean
More example sentences
- The country has a 1200 km Mediterranean coastline and borders on six countries to the west, east, and south.
- The majority of settlers are concentrated in two main blocs along the northern border and southern Mediterranean coast.
- There are many different packages available for Mediterranean cruises, so be sure to shop around to find the one that suits you best.
1.1(Of a person’s complexion) relatively dark, as is common in some Mediterranean countries.
- These worked well, colouring our subject's lily white skin with a light Mediterranean tan while leaving all the other colours in the shot true.
- He was of Mediterranean appearance or had tanned skin.
- The suspect is described as being in his mid 30s, of Mediterranean appearance, with short dark hair, dark brown eyes and with facial stubble.
nounBack to top
2A native of a country bordering on the Mediterranean.
- Africans, Asians and Latin Americans now roam the streets alongside Mediterraneans, other Europeans, native Australians and the many-generationed Anglo-Australians.
- Greeks, Italians, and other Mediterraneans cook their vegetables in olive oil or drizzle it over salads to enhance their flavor.
- It would be like imagining that ancient Mediterraneans thought and behaved like middle class Americans.
Definition of Mediterranean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan