Definition of Mediterranean fruit fly in English:
A fruit fly whose larvae can be a serious pest of citrus and other fruits. Native to the Mediterranean region, it has spread to other regions including the US. Also called medfly.
- Ceratitis capitata, family Tephritidae
- One of the most notorious agricultural pests is the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata.
- To fight outbreaks of the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, states like California and Florida rely on shipments of millions of sexually sterile medflies reared in laboratories.
- The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata is a major pest of many important agricultural products.
Definition of Mediterranean fruit fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan