Definition of Mediterranean fruit fly in English:
A fruit fly whose larvae can be a serious pest of citrus and other fruits. Native to the Mediterranean region, it has spread to other regions including the US. Also called medfly.
- Ceratitis capitata, family Tephritidae
- One of the most notorious agricultural pests is the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata.
- To fight outbreaks of the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, states like California and Florida rely on shipments of millions of sexually sterile medflies reared in laboratories.
- The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata is a major pest of many important agricultural products.
Definition of Mediterranean fruit fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.