noun[usually as modifier]
- The period when Japan was ruled by the emperor Meiji Tenno, marked by the modernization and westernization of the country.More example sentences
- Even after the Meiji rulers imposed military rule in the 1930s, belief in democracy endured for many Japanese.
- He looked like an actor from a Meiji period movie.
- The ensuing Meiji policy of modernization allowed Western ideas, institutions, and culture to infiltrate Japan.
Japanese, literally 'enlightened government'.
More definitions of MeijiDefinition of Meiji in:
- The British & World English dictionary