noun (plural same)
- A member of one of the guilds of German lyric poets and musicians that flourished from the 12th to 17th century. Their technique was elaborate and they were subject to rigid regulations.More example sentences
- The song contest in Wagner's opera Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg probably reflects the existence of a similar tradition among the German Meistersinger.
- It's a stately reading, full of ceremony and pageantry, like the Meistersinger overture, which Mahler suggested should be programmed in concert before his Seventh, to give the audience a foretaste of where they would wind up.
- Durer's own poetry is, Professor Price tells us, in a populist idiom, comparable to that of Hans Sachs, the Meistersinger, but, at its best, it is by no means negligible.
German, from Meister 'master' + Singer 'singer'.
More definitions of MeistersingerDefinition of Meistersinger in:
- The British & World English dictionary