Definition of Merlot in English:
1A variety of black wine grape originally from the Bordeaux region of France.
- Such French vine varieties as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, and some Pinot Noir were planted.
- Of all the red grape varieties, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Zinfandel are the most recognized.
- Malbec is a grape often blended with other reds, typically the Bordeaux varieties - Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
1.1A red wine made from the Merlot grape.
- Most good wines for salad have two things in common: They're not very oaky (which eliminates most Chardonnays), and they're not very tannic (which takes care of many Merlots and Cabernet Sauvignons).
- Every year the wines released - Cabs, Merlots, Syrahs, Chardonnays, and other interesting whites - are more exciting than ever.
- This small winery has tastings of its Merlots, Chardonnays, and Zinfandels.
Definition of Merlot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan