Definition of Metazoa in English:
1A major division of the animal kingdom that comprises all animals other than protozoans and sponges. They are multicellular animals with differentiated tissues.
- Subkingdom Metazoa, kingdom Animalia
- Not only Metazoa, but other multicellular clades such as Fungii and Metaphyta, must also be organized so that their basic body parts-differentiated cell types-are assembled into a hierarchy of functional associations.
- Now, based on the study with protein molecules, Fungi are regarded as the nearest-neighbor kingdom of the Metazoa, a conclusion which is supported by others.
- Belt desmosomes are the constituent character of the Epitheliazoa, the next higher taxon above the Porifera within the Metazoa, comprising the taxa Placozoa and Eumetazoa.
1.1 (metazoa) Animals of the Metazoa division.
modern Latin (plural), from meta- (expressing change) + zōia (plural of zōion 'animal').
Definition of Metazoa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan