Definition of Microchiroptera in English:
A major division of bats that comprises all but the fruit bats.
- Suborder Microchiroptera, order Chiroptera: many families
- There are two major groups of bats, usually given the rank of suborders, Megachiroptera and Microchiroptera.
- The other major group of bats, the Microchiroptera or microbats, is quite ecologically diverse.
- An additional explanation for the absence of either mode in Microchiroptera is their reliance on echolocation, and their need to maintain regular sensory input.
microchiropteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Megachiropterans and microchiropterans differ in many other ways.
- Other microchiropterans may behave similarly, but this is not evident from patterns of repetition of echolocation calls in flight.
- These fossils represent essentially modern-looking microchiropterans; bats had evolved all of their characteristic features and begun to diversify by this time.
Definition of Microchiroptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia