Definition of Mississippian in English:
2 Geology Of, relating to, or denoting the early part of the Carboniferous period in North America from about 363 to 323 million years ago, following the Devonian and preceding the Pennsylvanian.
- Compared with Pennsylvanian times, early Mississippian tropical wetland ecosystems are poorly understood.
- The boundary between the Upper and Lower subdivisions in Europe is known to be below the boundary between the Pennsylvanian and the Mississippian subsystems in North America.
- Kindle recognized two different fossil fauna assemblages in the limestone and the divided the limestone into two distinct lithologic units of Devonian and Mississippian age.
2.1 Archaeology Of, relating to, or denoting a settled culture of the southeastern US, dated to about ad 800–1300.
- The size and complexity of Cahokia, and the influence of its ideology, must have created enormous changes in the smaller Mississippian communities of the southeastern cultural complex.
- He has conducted archaeological research in southern Illinois for almost 30 years, including work with Mississippian cultures of the region.
- In terms of lithic technology, Mississippian culture retained the system of nonformalized tool production begun during the Late Woodland period.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Mississippi.
- Native Mississippians working on the line were at first perplexed, then angry, as line-speeds increased and new jobs were filled by workers from Mexican town they had never heard of, like Oaxaca and Chiapas.
- Her scholarship resonated with me as I recalled my mom, a Mississippi native, describing Chinese Mississippians who had both a Southern drawl and an entrepreneurial history in her neck of the woods that was a century old.
- The Deep South was Reagan country, and white Mississippians regarded Reagan as their native son.
2 (the Mississippian) Geology The Mississippian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Words that rhyme with Mississippianthespian • Olympian • Paralympian
Definition of Mississippian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.