- A landlocked country in southeastern Europe, between Romania and Ukraine; population 4,320,700 (est. 2009); capital, Chişinău; languages, Moldavian (official) and Russian;. Also called Moldavia.
A constituent republic of the former Soviet Union, Moldova was formed from territory ceded by Romania in 1940. It became independent as a member of the Commonwealth of Independent States in 1991
- More example sentences
- Missing a number of key players through injury and suspension, the Moldovans, who were on the back of defeats to Slovenia and Italy, struggled to get to grips with their hosts.
- The 26-year-old Moldovan with Bulgarian citizenship was the big surprise at the tournament in the Latvian capital because he had never won a medal at a major tournament before.
- The only things he really misses from home, apart from his family, are Moldovan wine, cognac, and chocolate.
More definitions of MoldovaDefinition of Moldova in:
- The British & World English dictionary