- A member of any various hill-dwelling people of Southeast Asia, especially those inhabiting the highlands of Vietnam.More example sentences
- Hundreds of Montagnards fled across the border into Cambodia around March, claiming they were facing government persecution on account of their Christian faith and that their ancestral lands were being threatened.
- In the weeks and months following the unrest, at least 1,500 Montagnards crossed the border to Cambodia, the majority of which were eventually allowed to resettle in the U.S.
- The Montagnards have been fleeing to Cambodia since February when widespread rural demonstrations over land rights spurred a government crackdown in their homeland.
adjectiveBack to top
French, from montagne 'mountain'.
More definitions of MontagnardDefinition of Montagnard in:
- The British & World English dictionary