Definition of Monterey cypress in English:
A cypress tree with a large spreading crown of horizontal branches and leaves that smell of lemon when crushed, native to a small area of California and widely planted in temperate climates worldwide. Also called macrocarpa.
- Cupressus macrocarpa, family Cupressaceae
- Created when Mexican land grants were divided by San Francisco lawyer-leaseholders in 1857, the old ranches huddle behind clumps of wind-deformed Monterey cypresses.
- The biggest Monterey cypress is also notable for having a 116-foot crown spread, second among conifers after the 130-foot crown of the Torrey pine.
- Much of the path is shaded with Monterey cypress and pine trees and some eucalyptus.
Definition of Monterey cypress in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India