(also Moutan peony)
Definition of Moutan in English:
A tall shrubby peony with pink or white mottled flowers, native to China and Tibet and the parent of many garden varieties.
- Paeonia suffruticosa, family Paeoniaceae
- Species of tree peony include Paeonia delavayi with crimson cup-shaped flowers, red-tinged new growth and a height of 1.5m / 5ft, and Paeonia suffruticosa or Moutans.
- The moutan peony should be grown in a bright place, with direct sunlight.
- But I could not understand why Moutan peonies had survived the predations of Chinese peasants for thousands of years and are only now in real danger of total destruction.
Early 19th century: from Chinese mudan.
Definition of Moutan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan