Definition of Mozarabic in English:
Of or relating to the Christian inhabitants of Spain under the Muslim Moorish kings.
- Through this point of contact, Mozarabic art transmitted Moorish features to the European Romanesque.
- The Visigothic Church developed a liturgical music, Mozarabic chant, used until its abolition in the 11th century.
- In the Mozarabic liturgy the feast of Saint John fell on December 29.
- Example sentences
- Because Agobard was himself a Mozarab, it is likely that he was particularly sensitive to the existence of Christian enslavement in al-Andalus.
- Among its slate and quartzite houses stands the church of Santiago, a Mozarab temple from the 10th century.
- Their religious tolerance allowed Christians to co-exist with the Moors which led to the Mozarab culture.
Words that rhyme with MozarabicArabic
Definition of Mozarabic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan