Definition of Mycenaean in English:
- It was during this period that Minoan civilization of Crete and the Mycenean civilization of mainland Greece flourished.
- The study of feasting on the Greek mainland during the Middle and Late Bronze Age provides insights into the nature of Mycenaean society.
- In contrast to practices associated with Minoan feasts, service and distribution in Mycenaean feasts had a completely different status.
nounBack to top
The Mycenaeans controlled the Aegean after the fall of the Minoan civilization circa 1400 bc, and built fortified citadels and impressive palaces. They spoke a form of Greek, written in a distinctive script (see Linear B), and their culture is identified with that portrayed in the Homeric poems. Their power declined during widespread upheavals at the end of the Mediterranean Bronze Age, around 1100 bc
- Other sources, of course, could have influenced the Mycenaeans, not least Egyptian painting, as has frequently been pointed out.
- In her analysis we are confronted with the longstanding problem of whether we can use the epics to understand the Mycenaeans, and if so, how.
- Feasting scenes appear in the frescoes of Crete and the islands, and the Mycenaeans adapt this tradition for representation in their palaces.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.