Definition of Mysticeti in English:
A division of the whales that comprises the baleen whales.
- Suborder Mysticeti, order Cetacea
- Modern whales may be divided into two subgroups: the Odontoceti (toothed whales) and the Mysticeti (baleen whales).
- The extant sub-orders are the Mysticeti (baleen whales) and the Odontoceti (toothed whales).
- Estimates for Tragulidae, Odontoceti, and Mysticeti are generally younger and close together in time, followed by a still more recent divergence of cervids, bovids, antilocaprids and giraffids.
- Example sentences
- Both the mysticetes and odontocetes are thought to be descendants of the archaeocetes.
- This anatomic geometry supports the idea of acoustic frequency filtering and channeling functions in odontocetes and low frequency hearing in mysticetes.
- Interestingly, the late Oligocene whale Aetiocetus, from Oregon, has skull and jaw features typical of baleen whales, and is considered to be the earliest mysticete - yet it also bore a full set of teeth.
Pronunciation: /ˈmistəˌsēt/noun& adjective
Definition of Mysticeti in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan