Definition of Naples yellow in English:
1A pale yellow pigment containing lead and antimony oxides.
- Crimson, lemon yellow, Naples yellow, emerald, Veronese green, mauve and the cadmiums were all 19th-century inventions.
- The 18th-century lead antimony yellow was usually described as Naples yellow.
- The history of Naples yellow is rather obscure.
1.1The pale yellow color of Naples yellow, now commonly produced using cadmium, zinc, or iron-based substitutes.
- Various ochers, a pale Naples yellow and a pale green, all of nearly equal intensity and weight, inflect a predominantly gray field of dots.
- Although looking at that painted swatch of Indian yellow, I would swear it's Naples yellow (and vice versa, come to think of it).
mid 18th century: named after Naples, the city where such a pigment was originally made.
Definition of Naples yellow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia