(also Nichiren Buddhism)
- A Japanese Buddhist sect founded by the religious teacher Nichiren (1222–82) with the Lotus Sutra as its central scripture. See also Soka Gakkai.More example sentences
- For the iconoclastic and controversial Nichiren, the Lotus Sutra alone contained the truth and all other religious views were to be expunged.
- However, Zen, Nichiren, and Shingon sects of Buddhism are represented in various cities throughout the United States.
- Alongside the Pure Land and Nichiren schools, the third most important school of Japanese Buddhism is Zen, which came to Japan from China (where it was known as Ch'an) and Korea early in the thirteenth century.
More definitions of NichirenDefinition of Nichiren in:
- The British & World English dictionary