Definition of Nile perch in English:
A large predatory fish found in lakes and rivers in northeastern and central Africa, widely caught for food or sport.
- Lates niloticus, family Centropomidae
- Stewart documents over 20 species of fish, including lungfish, electric fish, large minnows, catfish, Nile perch, and rare cichlids.
- When Nile perch began to impact local cichlid fisheries, locals started to consume Nile perch, but this fish required firewood for drying and preservation because it is much larger.
- The most common place to find the Nile perch is in Lake Victoria where the species was introduced in 1962.
Definition of Nile perch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia