Definition of Nile perch in English:
A large predatory fish found in lakes and rivers in northeastern and central Africa, widely caught for food or sport.
- Lates niloticus, family Centropomidae
- Stewart documents over 20 species of fish, including lungfish, electric fish, large minnows, catfish, Nile perch, and rare cichlids.
- When Nile perch began to impact local cichlid fisheries, locals started to consume Nile perch, but this fish required firewood for drying and preservation because it is much larger.
- The most common place to find the Nile perch is in Lake Victoria where the species was introduced in 1962.
Definition of Nile perch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.