Definition of Odontoceti in English:
The taxonomic division that comprises the toothed whales.
- Suborder Odontoceti, order Cetacea
- The extant sub-orders are the Mysticeti (baleen whales) and the Odontoceti (toothed whales).
- Modern whales may be divided into two subgroups: the Odontoceti (toothed whales) and the Mysticeti (baleen whales).
- In the Late Oligocene, a fundamental split occurred between the Odontoceti and the Mysticeti.
- Example sentences
- Within odontocete cetaceans, variation in body design affects stability and turning performance.
- Both the mysticetes and odontocetes are thought to be descendants of the archaeocetes.
- Dolphins and porpoises are examples of odontocetes, as are belugas, narwhals, killer whales, sperm whales, and beaked whales.
Pronunciation: /ōˈdän(t)əˌsēt/noun& adjective
Definition of Odontoceti in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan