Definition of Oglala in English:
noun (plural same or Oglalas or Oglalas)
A member of the chief division of the Lakota people.
- ‘Mad Bear’ Harney deeply humiliated the Lakotas and convinced the Oglalas and Brules that the time had come to withdraw from the Platte.
- He was born in the Wyoming Territory in 1869 and belonged to the Oglalas, one of the seven bands of the Teton Sioux nation.
- Browbeaten by the Oglalas, these Northern Indians resolved to leave the column, recruiting the crucial support of Touch the Clouds.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Oglala.
- Meanwhile, another force of mainly Oglala Sioux under Crazy Horse moved downstream then doubled back, enveloping Custer and his men in a pincer movement.
- Emmanuel Webster was fully Oglala Sioux on his father's side.
- If I have an ethical concern about this book, it is that Frazier over a long time was a cash cow and drinking companion for various Oglala acquaintances.
The name in Lakota.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan