Definition of Opisthobranchia in English:
A group of mollusks that includes the sea slugs and sea hares. They have a small or absent shell and are typically brightly colored with conspicuous external gills.
- Subclass Opisthobranchia, class Gastropoda
- The latter group includes radically modified animals, the Opisthobranchia and Pulmonata, which undergo detorsion and essentially re-evolve bilateral symmetry.
- In fact, as with the Opisthobranchia, shell reduction has occurred independently a number of times in different lineages.
- However, as with Tritonia, many other members of the subclass Opisthobranchia also exhibit swimming behavior.
- Example sentences
- The opisthobranchs include the sea slugs and their relatives the sea hares, sea butterflies, canoe shells, and others.
- Despite their apparent common origin and similarities in nervous system organization, the opisthobranchs display a wide variety of body forms and locomotory behaviors.
- Thus, the opisthobranchs exhibit a great diversity of swimming behaviors.
Definition of Opisthobranchia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan