Definition of Oxonian in English:
Of or relating to Oxford, England, or Oxford University.
- Only there is a slight reek of hypocrisy in the old tales of Oxonian elitism.
- Before its demise, my father liked to eat breakfast at the Plaza's Edwardian Room, a grand Oxonian ballroom space fronting Central Park South, and gaze out the giant arcade windows at the horse carriages clopping past.
- Representing a broad swathe of rock and post-rock styles, their Oxonian origins showed in their playing, with almost every group offering a performance as spirited as it was rough and uneven.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Oxford, England.
- No such thing as Oxford beat the Sorbonne in football, thereby allowing the Oxonians to believe they are superior.
- Even after Hopkins became a priest stationed in Oxford, though he avoided most Oxonians, he did, out of longstanding regard, seek Pater out.
- Since Thursday already starts badly for at least 1,200 Oxonians, who have woken up to a pounding post-Park End hangover, it's not really got the potential for the best night out.
1.1Someone who attends or has a degree from Oxford University.
- The aristocratic Oxonian who had donned the India colours too in 1946.
- He and his fellow Oxonians, he admitted, ‘do always like to write about something they know about’.
- Riding this latest craze is Britain's latest Telly-don, the one-time economic historian, one-time Oxonian, now transplanted into post 9/11 America.
mid 16th century: from Oxonia (Latinized name of Oxford, from its old form Oxenford) + -an.
Words that rhyme with OxonianAberdonian, Amazonian, Apollonian, Babylonian, Baconian, Bostonian, Caledonian, Catalonian, Chalcedonian, Ciceronian, Devonian, draconian, Estonian, Etonian, gorgonian, Ionian, Johnsonian, Laconian, Macedonian, Miltonian, Newtonian, Oregonian, Patagonian, Plutonian, Tennysonian, Tobagonian, Washingtonian
Definition of Oxonian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia