- A large deer with a red summer coat that turns dark gray in winter, and long antlers with backward pointing tines. Formerly a native of China, it is now found only in captivity.
More example sentences
- Elaphurus davidianus, family Cervidae
- In at least seven cases (Pere David's deer, Arabian Oryx, American bison, Red wolf, Guam kingfisher, Guam rail, and the California condor) the species were extinct in the wild at the time of reintroduction.
- We similarly excluded Pere David's deer, Elaphurus davidianus, European bison, Bison bonasus, and the Arabian oryx, Oryx leucoryx, because at one time they existed only in captive environments.
late 19th century: named after Father Armand David (1826–1900), French missionary and naturalist.
More definitions of Père David's deerDefinition of Père David's deer in:
- The British & World English dictionary