Definition of Petrine in English:
1 Christian Theology Of or relating to St. Peter or his writings or teachings.
- The Catholic church is a very hierarchical organisation, so if the Pope comes out with something, and it becomes seen to be Papal, Petrine teaching, it can actually make its way down to the pews pretty quickly.
- Those who wish to find a place for a Protestant recognition of the Petrine ministry on the journey to full communion will appreciate the perspectives offered in these essays; others will be less convinced.
- The narrator's inauthentic Christianity is dramatized in what amounts to an evocation of the three Petrine denials.
1.1Of or relating to the authority of the pope over the Church, in his role as the successor of St. Peter.
- Allen offers a brief account of the development of papal governance, as well as an intelligent consideration of the arguments, pro and con, for the ‘centralization’ of Petrine authority.
- By now the whole western Church was coordinated around the Petrine see, with the partial exception of the Celtic Irish Church, which maintained its own separate organization and practices.
- Catholics tend to be more Petrine: a long obedience in the same direction which may have well begun before you can remember when it began.
2Of or relating to Peter I of Russia: the Petrine reforms of the early 18th century
More example sentences
- In my opinion, Hughes's readers would benefit from the reflections of D. S. Likhachëv, the dean of pre-Petrine Russia specialists, on the issue of continuity between Old Russia and Petrine Russia.
- Up until his death in 1736 Prokopovich, the Archbishop of Novgorod, remained a stalwart of the Petrine legacy in which he himself had played a pivotal role.
- LeDonne also briefly describes the use of economic policy to prop up Petrine grand strategy, through the creation of a military-industrial complex in the early 18th century.
Definition of Petrine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan