- 1Reddish-brown timber from a tropical tree, used for paneling, cabinetry, and furniture. It resembles mahogany but is softer and less expensive.More example sentences
- Generally, the trees that supply the timber for Philippine mahogany lumber and plywood belong to the huge plant family called Dipterocarpaceae.
- Due to its weathering properties, Philippine Mahogany is an excellent exterior wood.
- 2The tree that produces Philippine mahogany, harvested chiefly in Indonesia and the Philippines. Also called lauan.
More example sentences
- Genus Shorea, family Dipterocarpaceae: several species
- The many varieties of so-called "Philippine mahogany" are really types of tropical cedar common to the Philippines even though they resemble true mahogany.
- The lauans, or "Philippine mahogany," are the softer members of the dipterocarp family.