- An order of carnivorous aquatic mammals that comprises the seals, sea lions, and walrus. They are distinguished by their flipperlike limbs.
More example sentences
- Order Pinnipedia: three families
- Some authorities, however, consider the pinnipeds to be monophyletic and basal to all living carnivores (feliform and caniform), and place it in a separate order, the Pinnipedia.
- The seals (Pinnipedia) have three extant families: Odobenidae, Otariidae (fur seals), and Phocidae (including gray seal and harbor seal).
- Within Pinnipedia, the closer affinity of Otariidae to either Phocidae or Obodenidae has long been debated.
modern Latin (plural), from Latin pinna 'wing, fin' + pes, ped- 'foot'.
More definitions of PinnipediaDefinition of Pinnipedia in:
- The British & World English dictionary