Definition of Pinnipedia in English:
An order of carnivorous aquatic mammals that comprises the seals, sea lions, and walrus. They are distinguished by their flipperlike limbs.
- Order Pinnipedia: three families
- Some authorities, however, consider the pinnipeds to be monophyletic and basal to all living carnivores (feliform and caniform), and place it in a separate order, the Pinnipedia.
- The seals (Pinnipedia) have three extant families: Odobenidae, Otariidae (fur seals), and Phocidae (including gray seal and harbor seal).
- Within Pinnipedia, the closer affinity of Otariidae to either Phocidae or Obodenidae has long been debated.
Definition of Pinnipedia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan