- The standard system of romanized spelling for transliterating Chinese.More example sentences
- The transliteration used is the standard Pinyin as formally adopted by China in 1979.
- Folk transcriptions of Chinese by English speakers tend to be like Pinyin in this respect.
- The use of Pinyin poses problems of distinguishing homographs, as in the 24 etymologically unrelated forms spelt lian.
1960s: from Chinese pīn-yīn, literally 'spell-sound'.
More definitions of PinyinDefinition of Pinyin in:
- The British & World English dictionary